Jan. 20, 2023.
Get ready to put your current events skills to the test! Test your knowledge of the week’s top news stories with our Jan. 20 News Quiz! This quiz covers 14 questions and answers, from Italy’s mafia boss’s arrest to Avatar’s new box office records and the new Barbie doll.
In this article
Take the Weekly News Quiz
Make sure you know everything noteworthy that happened this week with the best trivia questions and answers on current worldwide events. The Friday Weekly News Quiz has multiple-choice questions and answers about the last seven days’ events. Test your knowledge of the week’s headlines with the Jan. 20 News Quiz of the Week. Take it online, play the video quiz, or print it out for your weekly trivia party.
Found a mistake? Tell us!
Come back tomorrow for another quiz!
Like the Quiz?
Please consider subscribing to our FREE 😎 newsletter and never miss a quiz!
You can always unsubscribe later.
More Current Event Quizzes for this Weekend
- How long was Italy’s mafia boss on the run? And How is My First Barbie different from the traditional Barbie? (14 questions)
- Which animal did Colin Farrell thank at the Golden Globes? And what’s Britain’s fastest-selling nonfiction book? (11 questions)
- Who’s the 1st Black to lead a party in Congress? And what did Barbara Walters ask Carter? (11 questions)
Play the Jan. 20 News Quiz VIDEO
14 Multiple-choice current event questions, 30 seconds per answer. How many questions can you answer in just under 7 minutes?
This Week in the News
The facts on the Jan. 20 News Quiz of the Week are crosschecked with the world’s finest news outlets, research centers, and NGOs. The following articles inspired this week’s news quiz. Consider it as our weekend reading recommendations.
- ‘No more in the tank’: Jacinda Ardern to step down as NZ leader (Reuters)
- ‘Truth wins’: Maria Ressa, Philippine Nobel prize winner, acquitted of tax evasion charges (The Guardian)
- Italy’s most-wanted Mafia boss Matteo Messina Denaro was arrested in Sicily (BBC News)
- China’s population drops for the first time since 1961, highlights demographic crisis (Reuters)
- LeBron hits 38K, but Embiid leads 76ers past Lakers 113-112 (AP News)
- New, taller Barbie doll is aimed at kids as young as 3 (AP News)
- Lisa Marie Presley, Singer-Songwriter and Daughter of Elvis, Dies at 54 (nytimes.com)
- Gina Lollobrigida: From post-war film legend to an artist (Reuters)
- ‘The Last of Us’ Series Premiere Recap: Fungus Among Us (nytimes.com)
- ‘The Mandalorian’ S3 Trailer: Pedro Pascal, Baby Yoda Face New Threats (Variety)
- Stephen Colbert to Adapt George R.R. Martin’s Favorite Book Into Series (The Hollywood Reporter)
- ‘Avatar 2’ Is the Sixth-Biggest Film of All-Time With $1.92 Billion (Variety)
- Avatar 3: Lo’ak Replaces Jake Sully as Narrator, Says James Cameron (Variety)
- Madonna announces ‘The Celebration Tour’ (CNN)
The Jan. 20 News Quiz Questions (Printable)
Here’s the complete list of current events trivia questions and multiple-choice answers from the Jan. 20 News Quiz of the Week. Feel free to copy the list for your weekly trivia gathering. Download this week’s FREE PDF (all questions on one page, with separate pages for answers and links to sources)!
1. Before 2022, when was the last time China recorded a population decline?
- During the Great Leap Forward.
- During the first COVID-19 outbreak.
- During the one-child policy.
- Never before.
2. How old was Jacinda Ardern when she became New Zealand’s Prime Minister?
- 27 Years-old.
- 37 Years-old.
- 47 Years-old.
- 57 Years-old.
3. How long had Matteo Messina Denaro, the notorious Mafia boss, been on the run before his arrest in Sicily?
- 13 years.
- 30 years.
- 47 years.
- 60 years.
4. What charges was Maria Ressa, the founder of Rappler, acquitted of in the Philippines?
- Tax evasion.
5. In Jan. 2023, LeBron James became the second player in NBA history to score 38,000 career points, but who was the first?
- Wilt Chamberlain.
- Magic Johnson.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
- Shaquille O’Neal.
6. How is My First Barbie different from the traditional Barbie?
- She’s smaller.
- She’s taller.
- She has a smaller waist.
- Her limbs are movable.
7. How old was Lisa Marie Presley when her father, Elvis, died?
- 9 Years-old.
- 11 Years-old.
- 25 Years-old.
- 37 Years-old.
8. What was Gina Lollobrigida’s first English-language movie?
- Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Beat the Devil.
9. How many films have reached $2 billion in box office history?
- 3 films.
- 4 films.
- 5 films.
- 6 films.
10. Who is planned to be the narrator of “Avatar 3”?
- Jake Sully.
11. In HBO’s adaptation of the video game “The Last of Us,” what’s causing humans to behave zombie-like?
- A global pandemic.
- Alien body snatchers.
- A mind-controlling fungus.
12. Who will executive produce the TV series adaptation of “The Chronicles of Amber”?
- George R.R. Martin.
- Stephen Colbert.
- Conan O’Brien.
- David Benioff.
13. What is the name of Madonna’s 2023 world tour?
- The Madonna Experience.
- The Queen’s Retirement.
- Madonna’s Truth and Dare.
- The Celebration Tour.
14. Who plays the villainous Moff Gideon in “The Mandalorian”?
- Battlestar Galactica’s Lieutenant “Starbuck.”
- Game of Thrones’ Oberyn Martell.
- Breaking Bad’s Gus Fring.
- Rocky’s Apollo Creed.
- The 2023 Super Black History Quiz: A Full Year of Trivia
- A Full Year of Quiz Questions | Best 2022 Printable Trivia
- Big Quiz of the Year 2022 | 22 Year-End Trivia Quizzes