Linda Yaccarino, who was previously the head of advertising and partnerships for NBCUniversal, was confirmed as the new CEO of Twitter on May 12, 2023. She will focus on business operations while Twitter owner Elon Musk works on product design and technology. Yaccarino is one of the rare female chief executives in technology. Here are the facts.
1. Musk Sinks Twitter
Elon Musk, the man who has more roles than an overworked character actor – Tesla CEO, SpaceX founder, and now Twitter overlord – made headlines last year when he purchased Twitter for $44 billion. Almost as quickly as you could say “hashtag,” Musk trimmed down the Twitter workforce, giving thousands of employees their walking papers. His main gripe? The trust-and-safety team, which he blamed for turning Twitter into a veritable nest of unnecessary woes, largely thanks to some creative interpretation by mainstream media.
2. Enter the Ad Queen: Linda Yaccarino
Cue Linda Yaccarino. A titan in the advertising world, Yaccarino is best known for her tenure as NBCUniversal’s advertising chief. In this role, she seamlessly integrated and digitized ad sales. She’s the kind of person who could sell ice to the Eskimos and convince them they need a subscription service for it.
3. The Miami Beach Showdown
In April 2023, at a marketing convention in Miami Beach, Florida, Yaccarino decided to do what few had done before – challenge Musk. Onstage, she grilled him on the hot-button issues of content moderation, hate speech, and advertisers’ influence on Twitter. Little did we know, this was just an audition for her biggest role yet.
4. Musk’s Tweet: From Challenger to Champion
In a surprise twist, Musk announced on Friday, May 12, 2023, that Yaccarino would be the new Twitter CEO. Her focus? Business operations, while Musk continues to “tinker” with product design and technology.
5. Yaccarino: A Fresh Perspective Amidst Silicon Valley’s Bros
Yaccarino, a critic of so-called woke discourse and a conservative appointed by former President Donald J. Trump to the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition, is a rare bird in the tech world – a female chief executive. She says she faced bias in her career and strongly advocates diversity and inclusion.
6. Ad Queen’s Reign Begins in Six Weeks
In July 2023, Yaccarino will step into her newly appointed role. Known for her ability to build relationships with advertisers and craft innovative advertising campaigns, Yaccarino is expected to inject a fresh perspective into Twitter. She is also expected to bring some of its advertising business back. Meanwhile, Musk will retain his executive chairman and chief technology officer position.
7. Yaccarino Makes Twitter History
And let’s not forget, Yaccarino is making history here. She’s the first woman to be Twitter’s CEO and the first Twitter CEO who hasn’t previously worked for the company.
8. First Tweets on the Job
Yaccarino gave her first hint at how she plans to transform Twitter on June 13, 2023. In a series of tweets, also emailed to employees, the new Twitter CEO echoed Musk’s goal of transforming the “global town square” and said that the company is “on a mission to become the world’s most accurate real-time information source.” The problem? The only thing standing between her and her new goal is Musk’s tweets.
Like the Quiz?
Don’t forget to subscribe
to our FREE 😎 newsletter
and never miss a quiz!
You can always unsubscribe later.
Our trivia facts about the new Twitter CEO, Linda Yaccarino, were cross-checked with the finest news outlets on earth. Here are the articles we read for this post.
- AP News: Before Musk picked Yaccarino as the new Twitter CEO, she challenged him on policies and his own tweets
- AP News: What to know about Twitter’s new CEO Linda Yaccarino
- AP News: Elon Musk confirms Twitter’s new CEO is ad guru Linda Yaccarino from NBCUniversal
- CNN Business: Elon Musk Names NBCU ad chief Linda Yaccarino as New Twitter CEO
- Variety: NBCUs Yaccarino Interviewed Musk About Twitter Hateful Conduct Policy
- The New York Times: Linda Yaccarino Is Twitter’s New CEO, Elon Musk Confirms
- Reuters: New Twitter CEO says she is excited to help to transform the company
- BBC News: Twitter boss Linda Yaccarino gives first hint on shake-up plans