In a world where superheroes are as common as coffee shops, DC Studios is brewing a fresh pot with “Superman: Legacy.” And who better to stir things up than James Gunn, the man who can make even a raccoon look cool (we’re looking at you, Rocket.)
1. The Tweet Heard Around the World
In a move that sent Twitter into a frenzy, Gunn confirmed the casting of David Corenswet and Rachel Brosnahan as the upcoming Clark Kent/Superman and Lois Lane. This tweet was more explosive than Krypton itself! And let’s not forget, this is Corenswet’s first major leading role in a studio film. Talk about a super leap!
2. The Casting Saga
The casting process was as intense as a Superman vs. Lex Luthor face-off. It involved multiple rounds of audition tapes, culminating in an in-person screen test for Gunn and co-CEO of DC Studios, Peter Safran. The result? A casting choice hotter than Superman’s heat vision!
3. From Comedy Queen to Daily Planet’s Finest
Rachel Brosnahan, best known for her Emmy-winning role in Amazon Prime’s “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” is set to trade her stand-up mic for a reporter’s notepad. We can’t wait to see her deliver Lois Lane’s sass with the same gusto she brought to Midge Maisel! Fun Fact: Brosnahan and Corenswet’s past credits include Netflix’s “House of Cards.”
4. One Superman, Five Superheroes
As first reported in Vanity Fair on July 11, 2023, Superman Legacy will feature three other superheroes with a long DC history. In addition to Isabela Merced (Dora and the Lost City of Gold, Madame Web) playing Hawkgirl, Edi Gathegi (X-Men: First Class, The Harder They Fall) will play Mister Terrific, and Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3) will portray a Green Lantern – although not necessarily the Green Lantern Ryan Reynolds portrayed in 2011. Fillion voiced the green-suited superhero in at least ten animated titles between 2011 and 2020. Anthony Carrigan, who was just nominated for an Emmy for HBO’s Barry, has been cast as the classic DC character Metamorpho, aka archeologist-turned-hero Rex Mason.
5. A New Take on an Old Tale
The film will focus on Superman’s quest to reconcile his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing as Clark Kent of Smallville, Kansas. It’s like a cosmic episode of “Who Do You Think You Are?” but with more spandex.
6. The Superman Hall of Fame
Before Corenswet, only three actors had the honor of donning the red cape on the big screen: Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, and Henry Cavill. Cavill recently hung up his cape, making way for the next era of Superman. Here’s hoping Corenswet’s Superman doesn’t have a CGI-removed mustache!
We cross-checked our Superman: Legacy facts with the world’s leading entertainment news outlets.
- AP News: David Corenswet, Rachel Brosnahan cast as Superman and Lois Lane in James Gunn movie
- Deadline: David Corenswet To Play Superman In ‘Superman: Legacy’; Rachel Brosnahan Is Lois Lane
- GQ: James Gunn Casts David Corenswet as Superman and Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane
- The Hollywood Reporter: Superman: Legacy to Star David Corenswet and Rachel Brosnahan
- The Guardian: Superman: Legacy: David Corenswet and Rachel Brosnahan to play leads
- Vanity Fair: Superman: Legacy: David Corenswet and Rachel Brosnahan Are Your Next Clark Kent and Lois Lane
- Vanity Fair: ‘Superman Legacy’ Cast Adds Isabela Merced, Edi Gathegi, and Nathan Fillion
- The Hollywood Reporter: Superman: Legacy Casts Anthony Carrigan as Metamorpho