The 2023 Met Gala honored Karl Lagerfeld’s work and life and his Birman cat, Choupette, who was his pet and muse. Several celebrities paid tribute to Choupette, with Doja Cat and Jared Leto dressed as the famous feline in white costumes and cat ears. Here are the trivia facts about the 2023 Met Gala you absolutely have to know.
1. Met Gala 2023 Celebrates Karl Lagerfeld at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Met Gala 2023 took place in New York City on May 1. It commemorated the “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty” exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
2. Star-Studded Lineup of Co-Hosts for the Event
The event’s co-hosts were Penélope Cruz, Michaela Coel, Roger Federer, Dua Lipa, and Anna Wintour.
3. A Dress Code Tribute to Karl Lagerfeld
Guests were encouraged to wear outfits inspired by Lagerfeld’s designs or personal style, with the dress code being “in honor of Karl.”
4. Honoring the Fashionable Cat
Lagerfeld’s muse, Choupette, was born on August 15, 2011, and originally belonged to French model Baptiste Giabiconi. Lagerfeld fell in love with the Birman cat while cat-sitting over Christmas 2011 and decided to keep it. Choupette lived in luxury with Lagerfeld, flying on private jets, eating Goyard dishes, and having her own iPad. She also became a fashion icon, appearing on magazine covers and in ad campaigns for Chanel and other brands. Lagerfeld once said he wished to marry her. After Lagerfeld’s death in February 2019, Choupette inherited part of his fortune and became a social media star.
5. Doja Cat and Jared Leto Embrace Lagerfeld’s Feline Muse
Doja Cat and Jared Leto paid homage to Choupette, Lagerfeld’s cherished cat, wearing head-to-toe white outfits and cat ears. Doja Cat wore a custom Thom Browne ensemble, while Leto donned a colossal Choupette costume by Gucci.
6. Serena Williams and Karlie Kloss Announce Pregnancies in Style
Serena Williams and Karlie Kloss revealed their pregnancies on the red carpet, donning custom Chanel and Dior gowns.
7. Anna Wintour and Bill Nighy Confirm Romance on the Red Carpet
Anna Wintour and Bill Nighy made their relationship official on the red carpet, posing together and holding hands. Wintour wore a Chanel suit, and Nighy sported a Prada tuxedo.
8. Unlikely Star: A Cockroach Takes the Spotlight
A cockroach unexpectedly stole the show, crawling on the red carpet and drawing attention from celebrities and fans. A security guard later dispatched the tiny trespasser.
News Trivia Quiz Time
Now that you know all about the 2023 Met Gala, how about a news quiz?
We cross-checked our 2023 Met Gala facts with the world’s leading news outlets.
- The New York Times: Met Gala 2023: Here’s What Happened at the Celebration of Karl Lagerfeld
- AP News: Met Gala: Rihanna, Jared Leto as Choupette, Kim K. in pearls
- CNN: Serena Williams and Karlie Kloss debut pregnancies in style on the Met Gala red carpet
- Reuters: Serena Williams announces pregnancy on Met Gala red carpet
- CNN: Doja Cat and Jared Leto dressed like Choupette, the cat, for the Met Gala
- ESPN: Serena Williams announces she’s pregnant with second child
- The Hollywood Reporter: Anna Wintour and Bill Nighy Confirm Romance on Met Gala Red Carpet
- BBC News: Met Gala 2023: Doja Cat and Jared Leto deliver Lagerfeld-inspired looks